Sunday, March 17, 2013

Walking Down a New Old Trail




Odin and Adrianna on the trail.
        I told Adri I wanted to go to Ward Lake. I was shocked to find out they were upgrading the trail so it is more wheelchair accessible. There was gravel over the natural dirt trail and I felt like the Lake had just been raped. The devil’s club and other bushes that once  gave shade to the trail were now  long gone. I appreciate that they are making it accessible to people who haven’t been able to enjoy its beauty but I feel they have gone too far.  The trail was widened and the outside edges of trail were completely stripped. Exposed roots cut to shit. Nothing close to the trail survived the chainsaw though the trip wasn’t all disappointment from the destruction. I was able to find mushrooms that were springing to life in view to only those who were searching about a third of the way up the trail. 
Mycena sp.

        The first mushrooms I found were tucked away cream colored bell shaped caps with translucent necks. I don’t know what kind of mushroom these are. Adri, Odin our dog and I continued after the first discovery. Odin pulled me hard as he sniffed every crack and crevice. We had to move over so the workers could spread the gravel with their machinery. As we got closer to the bridge I notice the beaver dam had been cleared. I hanged my head with shame and disgust. I think it will be awhile til I come back here. I enjoyed the cool enclosure the lake used to have and the protection from the rain it offered. I didn’t need the protection today because there was only a couple of small clouds in the sky.
Membranous Dog-Lichen (Peltigera membranacea)

Orange Slime Mold?
      
         I decided to step away from the gravel road to stomp on some forest floor and Adri took Odin further up the trail. The forest floor quickly turned to muskeg and I nearly lost my left shoe. I had to tip my toes upward before pulling my foot out to keep my shoe on. I noticed some small orange fungi as I cleared the little bog. I made my way up back to the gravel trail. I had to climb up on my hands and knees to get back on the trail. I tried catching up to Adri but I got distracted by some orange looking slime. I have never seen orange slime in anything but a cylindrical container labeled silly putty. I couldn't wait to show Adri I knew she was going to say it looked gross.
Nice spot next to Ward Lake trail

No comments:

Post a Comment