Monday, March 11, 2013

Old Forgotten Road



             
       It’s was beautiful day at Ward Lake earlier today. Adri and I decided to go down the old Ward Lake Road. We parked over by the bridge and Adri went off to run on the trail around the lake. We only had about forty minutes till we had to pick up David from school. I searched the bank near the large pond on the right-side of the dead end. After not finding anything I walked across the bridge with my hands in my blue hoodie keeping me warm. My hands ached badly today. The cold wind was taking some of the fun out of the adventure but I didn't let it ruin my trip. I was afraid I might not find anything with snow still present, but within a minute of walking down a small little trail just past the bridge I found my first mushroom of the day. 
Lemon cup
        Off the tip of a fallen cedar needle, there was two lemon cup mushrooms. One larger than the other it was like a father and his son. The mushrooms were so tiny it made my small hands seem large. David would love to be out here with me finding new things. I feel like a kid out here with a renewed interest in my surroundings. I forgot how amazing it was out here. 
        I found the second mushroom while I was still looking at the first one. All that was left was a near-transparent cap that had no gills or stem and it was alone on the moss embankment. It had the diameter of a fifty-cent piece and the cap had a height of about an inch. It appeared to had been munched on by worms. I wonder if it was a species of bolete had been affected by the weather. If I remember correctly boletes are generally edible though there are no transparent boletes to my knowledge.
Unidentified mushroom cap

Unidentified mushroom cap
        I was only minutes into my trip and had found two different species of fungi. I moved on from the moss embankment with a little hop in my step. I was seconds away from singing Travis Tritt’s “Great Day to Be Alive.” I passed a few evergreen ferns and some other flora I couldn't identify about but all of it was shades of dark green. The further from the trail I went the more snow there was. It wasn’t enough to make a snow man only enough to make it look like a thick frost. I made it to a fallen tree and found a species I believe I had crossed in one of my mushroom books.
Hairy Stereum (Stereum hirsutum)
Hairy Stereum (Stereum hirsutum)
        Could this be turkey tail fungi? It is banded and had teeth-like gills This is the first fungus I have ever seen that has teeth-like gills. I won’t know for sure until I get home. The tree is covered in them, like scales on a fish, only a vertical fashion rather than a fishy horizontal display. It is crazy how they look like a turkey’s tail fanned-out. I spot a couple lemon cups on the same tree. I made my back to the original trail I came down.
Unidentified Bracket Fungus
Unidentified Bracket Fungus
          I wanted to head back to the road and start heading for the lake to meet up with Adri so I started back-tracking my steps. I made my way back to the road without any problems and not without witnessing some lichen in my quest for mushrooms. I decided to check the opposite side of the road this time. This side appeared to have more dead leaves as ground cover. It was a brown mushy-fibrous blend and a perfect fertilizer. I saw a couple standard bear bread on a tree until something else caught my eye. On a tree near where I was looking there was brown disks adhered to its surface. I have never seen these before. They have to be related to bear bread but they were softer and more flimsy. I was tempted to break one off but I chose not too. This has been an amazing day. I wonder how many species I can find out here. The most frequent mushrooms I have been finding are the lemon cups followed by the artist conk (a.k.a. bear bread)I won’t have the time today but I am definitely coming out here again. I am so glad I chose to research fungus.


No comments:

Post a Comment